Saturday, September 26, 2015

Gone Fishing...a Sequoyah Nominee

I haven't posted in a long time, but this book spurred my desire to write again.

Gone Fishing is a book by Tamera Will Wissinger and illustrated by Matthew Cordell. I showed my students the author interview on the Perma-Bound video made by our wonderful Brown Brothers this past week! Tamera's stories of going fishing brought back many happy memories for me because my Dad used to take my sisters and me fishing when we were kids. He still enjoys this hobby all these years later.

Tamera's use of different poetry forms to tell the story of a boy, his dad, and his sister's family fishing trip is inspiring! At the end of the book, she lists all the forms of poetry she used in the book so that kids (or teachers) can go back and reference the poetry forms as well as poetry techniques she used.

Teachers could use this book as a read aloud and show some images and videos to kids to build their knowledge of fishing as a hobby. Then they could use the techniques and forms Tamera discusses in the back of the book to have students write their own poems about their hobbies.

I can think of about a dozen ways I plan to use this book in my library lessons this year. Here is a picture of me and my sister, Cindy, when we got back home after a fishing trip. We sure look proud - maybe as proud as Sam and Lucy in Gone Fishing!


No comments:

Post a Comment